We appreciate the compliments and recommendations which are
regularly received from Republique players. Several of the corrections and
changes below are partially or wholly a result of the vigilance of gamers
around the world, and we thank all of you for your help!
|October 1, 2000. Revision
The major change this year is the adoption of a Panic Index which
connects assault results, army panic, demoralized unit panic and deaths of
leaders into several semi-related series of events, all of which are controlled
through one multi-purpose chart. Demoralized units no longer vanish or
automatically rout, but their presence on the field is now a liability to those
around them! A trade-off which we hope adds realism to the situation while
simultaneously streamlining the process. There are also quite a number of other
important changes, some of which visitors to the War & Games message board
may recognize from the various postings.
Note: The update list does
not include any references to areas which were re-written if the change did not
affect any standing rulings.
- Corrected command radius conflict between text and combat
- Corrected cavalry assault rules to cover loss of line
bonus against rough targets and performance versus squares.
- Adjusted artillery fire points & ranges.
- Reduced artillery prolong distances.
- Adjusted and merged maneuver systems and passage of
- Changed some assault modifier ratios from "over half" to
"greatest percentage." Also changed assault modifiers for being
- Changed rough movement interference from ¼ inch to
½ frontage base.
- Changed Enemy artillery/cavalry nearby rally
modifier to Dangerous enemy nearby, also changed from -1 to -2 each (see
- Changed cavalry reaction to pro-rated at from 15cm range
or line of site.
- Changed demoralized assault modifier to -7 in
compensation for removal of auto-rout.
- Reduced artillery fire into cover from 1 inch to
- Changed qualification of artillery leader modifier and
attached artillery leader abilities.
- Streamlined command radius categories.
- Streamlined leader injury table.
- Lowered skirmish fire effectiveness as compensation for
rally and leader injury effects.
- Changed name of mandatory movement to Forced
- Changed name of "defensive bonus" to "tactical
- Changed approximate turn time to 40 minutes.
- Added Panic Index, coupled with streamlining of assault
results and addition of prisoner-taking and fall back result. Linked
demoralized panic to new index.
- Added Local Breakthrough rule for assaulting units
rendered out of contact with assault targets due to target panic.
- Clarifying skirmish rules, added "bluff charge" to
optional rules for countering skirmishers.
- Added saved fire as assault defense bonus.
- Added passing fire modifier, coupled with changes to
passing fire rule.
- Eliminated Army Panic roll and associated rules. Replaced
it with more closely integrated Panic Index.
- Exempted leaders who have already rolled for injury
during assault from rolling again at end of phase.
- Deleted immobilization of damaged artillery
- Deleted automatic demoralized unit desertion and
- Eliminated limit on Divisional Wing system commander's
assignment of units
- Established clearer definitions for the two orders
- Clarified leader's abilities to conduct emergency
- Stipulated inability to stockpile saved fire markers for
- Specified order changes as occurring during the command
|September 3, 1998
|This update involves an number of
clarifications of already existing text. Because most change involves
elaborations or explanations on pre-existing themes, only rules text associated
with the few actual changes has been "colorized."
- Clarified assault effects on incidentally contacted
- Deleted erroneous reference to the pro-rating of attached
- Changed behavior of demoralized units to include
mandatory withdrawal movement. Established a Mandatory Movements chapter
in the maneuver section in order to merge it with other already existing
- Adjusted maneuver parameters for units using the Prussian
maneuver system .
- Merged passage-of-lines movement penalty into "rough
movement" category. Previously was a separate 3" reduction in speed.
- Adjusted terrain effects.
- Changed the title "defense class" to "defense bonus" for
- Added ruling allowing dispersed cavalry brigades to be
reformed back into original units during battle.
- Specified that damaged artillery cannot be "merged" to
produce undamaged artillery.
- Added corps/army level command control guidelines
(recommedation only, not a mandatory rule)
- Removed requirement to move in a straight line for 2"
before assault contact.
Reason: Assault contact does not
automatically infer charge movement.
- Removed disordering of units in woods.
Reason: Reforming of units upon exiting is not warranted given the
length of game turns.
- Deleted 1806 Prussian defense bonus (retroactive, actual
deletion was done 11-97).
Reason: By this period, Prussian
volley tactics were widely imitated, resulting in a general "continental" style
within which the Prussians were no longer very distinctive. The Prussians did
still maintain very rigid discipline, but this was dramatically offset by their
lack of practical combat experience.
|June 22, 1997 Revision
|Most of the critical changes made in
this revision were achieved by changing or rearranging already existing rules
instead of creating new ones. Game play will be affected quite a bit, so
players should familiarize themselves with these differences. We have also
extensively rewritten some sections to make their intent clearer while not
changing their rulings.
- Clarified rules text. (All)
- Artillery road move corrected to double move instead of
- Changed hilltop spotting to two inches
- Changed the change orders values for Austrians,
Prussians and Russians.
- Moved application of charge disorder to end of assault
phase and broadened it to effect any unit which uses assault movement bonus
during the turn.
- Changed the assault table's cavalry attacker column to
coordinate with the new charge disorder application.
- Moved Leader Injuries to the Assault
Sequence. Causes involved leaders to roll after each assault round
instead of only once each turn. Changed emergency rally rule to include
all units involved.
- Added rule limiting skirmisher recall during the assault
- Tied death of a national leader to the army panic roll.
- Removed "ordered" from the "...ordered infantry in
squares..." section in the cavalry assault rules. Infantry squares with morale
hits now benefit from their formation.
- Created metric version of combat chart.
- Inserted passage showing loss of cavalry's assault bonus
when fighting ordered infantry square
- Corrected contradiction of rally modifiers in presence of
enemy cavalry & artillery (Rally).
- Corrected mixed formation description from "two bases
wide" to "two bases deep"
- Changed command rules for corps reserve
- Changed elite support to heavy support
- Assault results for infantry at losing end of chart.
Added one kill at -7,8 level.
- Reduced officer mortality
- Deleted text reference to artillery target
modifier which contradicted combat chart
- Reacting cavalry may not withdraw
- New combat charts with easier to read fonts.