PRE-DREADNOUGHT ERA FAST-PLAY RULES
Quickfire Tactics and Game
General Tactical Suggestions
- For squadrons steaming in line ahead, do not move at full
speed. This allows leaders to sustain battle damage with less risk of vessels
aft running them down and/or disturbing the formation. This is called
maintaining "reserve speed" and was standard during the period. Three-quarters
normal speed is a good average to maintain.
- Don't scatter your fire by engaging numerous enemy ships
- Keep your broadside to the enemy.
- If you have a vessel with a good light fire rating, don't
hesitate to use it against a much heavier ship - especially one that is already
a target of several of your heavy ships. The extra light fire will help wear
down the heavier ship's light ROF rating, making it all the sooner that it
reaches the catastrophic point at which all ROF and Repair points are gone.
After that, every G hit becomes a fire, which puts the ship on a fast track to
becoming a flaming wreck.
- Don't hesitate to use your repair dice to keep your guns
firing early on. Your ship is a gun platform and your guns are the most
important thing to keep operational. Using all of your repair points however,
does leave your ship vulnerable. Recommend keeping at least one around for